Tuesday, April 28, 2009

God And Other Debates.

A friend and I had a discussion tonight that I found a lot of inspiration from. My friend, we will call her Tiffany in case she wants to remain anonymous, is a strong, beautiful, woman. She has her goals in life, and her beliefs and she won’t let anyone tear her down for what she believes. Tonight we got to talking about her beliefs and some things that she wants in a man. The one thing that came up that led to the discussion is that she wants to marry a man who shares the same religious beliefs as her. She shared a verse with me from the bible that helped with her reasoning, and the verse was: 

Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you. I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty. 2 Corinthians 6:14-18

Now, when I read this verse, I took it as, a believer and non believer should not be associated with the other. So for me and her to be such good friends like we are, we are in the wrong. She said that for her, it’s in the dating and marriage sense. In her opinion, she doesn’t want to marry someone who has different beliefs as her, because down the road, one or both could start to stray away from their beliefs and start following the other’s, and that isn’t fair to the other. Another issue she is worried about is that if her and her husband were to have children, how would they decide to raise their children when it comes to religion. In all honesty, I can see why she would worry about this, but at the same time, I believe that if you are meant to be with someone, same religious beliefs or not, everything would work out. I would like to think that everyone would be open and supportive enough to accept that the love of their life believes something different, and that is okay, because in my opinion, in the end we all end up in the same place, even if our beliefs say differently. Of course that is just my opinion. 

So I guess the question to really think about is this, can two people who have to completely different religious beliefs, be happily married for the long run without straying away from their beliefs? I like to think optimistically and say yes, while others will say no. Unfortunately it’s hard to truly say yes or no. And while everyone likes to think that their religion or beliefs are the correct ones, there isn’t a single person who can say they know for sure who is right and who is wrong. Religion will always be a never-ending debate. People don’t like to settle and accept that they may be wrong, we are a stubborn group and most are extremely close- minded. 

Give me your opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment